Thursday, December 9, 2010

A New Chapter

Wow! Seems I've been away from the OCD blogging for quite a while. Honestly, it is a sign that my OCD has not been bothering me. Also, that I've been swept up into a bit of a whirlwind.

First, all my medical results came back fine. I still have not gotten my mammogram, which I am late for. For some reason, I feel I will not get breast cancer. Too common and curable. I go for things like ALS and other rare, less hopeful maladies. In the meantime my 51 year old cousin was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Still, even on 20 mg of SSRI, it isn't penetrating. I do need that mammo, though. I need to take care in a responsible way to prevent obsessions about my health.

The new chapter is about my professional life. Many of you are aware that I am a physician. I worked as a pediatrician for 11 years after residency. All together, the education, training and work, was a 20 year segment of my life. The last few years I was feeling pulled away from medicine and more towards my creative life. A year and half ago I stopped practicing and dedicated myself to my art - intricate stitched beaded jewelry using the tiniest of glass beads. In early November, my seed bead teacher and bead store owner decided to close her store. I made a spur of the moment decision to buy the store and revamp it. That's what I've been working on during my absence. It it has been a busy busy time. More details about how I've been "dealing" with all the changes in my next post.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats that the OCD is taking a back burner. And how fun for you - I hope your new business goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back! And that is so cool you bought the seed bead store! I am also an artist, and in many way this fuels my journey toward getting better. Finally, I also need schedule my mammogram, which is due in January, and which creates all sorts of health obsession, and is in the category of "I don't have to like it, figure it out, or know for sure--just take my best guess that the guideline is the best we have right now, and get the damn mammogram."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you are still bloggin at all, but I love the name of your blog and everything you have written........would love to hear more.

    ReplyDelete