Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sometimes It All Just Gets To Me

I had a fabulous weekend. I felt great this morning....and then, over the course of the day I became deflated and demoralized by a situation with my ex husband regarding my children. I feel very helpless about the situation, and fearful for my children's emotional well being. I felt sad and scared. I decided not to stuff those unpleasant feelings, and not to mask them with any addictive behavior. I just let them be, alongside me. I let myself acknowledge how difficult the situation is for me. I felt compassion for myself. I decided not to add to my struggles with unnecessary self-denigration. And, I went about my day and did the best I could.

And then the OCD hit. I just KNOW, it is because of the fear that I am in about my kids and my utter lack of control about their irrational dad. It is almost like a genie that pops the cork out of the bottle and goes a little nuts casting spells on me.

Here's the obsession: I took my daughter to the pet shop and we were holding rabbits. One of them scratched me. Then later, while I was feeding my snake, the prey (a mouse) peed on my hand. Some of the urine got on the scratch. It took just an instance for me to KNOW that I was going to die from some "mouse urine disease". I started to get that swirl of anxiety. The one that lifts me off my feet, unhinges me, and threatens to blow me out the window.

I am sorry if this is gross for some of you. But, hey, think of it as an exposure. In any case, a few years ago I could not even pet a dog or even be in the room with an animal, for fear that I would catch some horrible disease. Now I own 2 snakes, a frog, 2 cats, and have a fish tank. I clean up after all those critters. I deal with rodents to feed the snakes and frog. Clearly, I have come far. I love my animals. Plus they are an ongoing exposure for me. Nonetheless, that OCD gremlin is waiting for me... and is happy to seize upon my insecure moments.

I washed the urine off my hand. I told my partner about it and he gave me reassurance. And then, just like I did earlier in the day, I gave myself a break. I silently acknowledged my tough situation, my OCD, and my belief that I am good enough, just as I am today. I forgave myself for all of it. And then, I went on making dinner and being a mom. Right now I feel a little better. It has been a hard day. Sometimes, it all just gets to me. Thanks for being there, my OCD peeps!

3 comments:

  1. Silver lining: Hard days make the good days seem pretty good. ;)
    Sounds like you have a much better partner now than your ex was. Glad you have him, and hopefully tomorrow will be better! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The OCD feeds on whatever is important to you--your children and their safety. I am glad you were able to acknowledge how hard this is for you with their Dad, and not denigrate the natural pain that comes with this. I couldn't help thinking when you mentioned some "mouse urine disease" about how my husband helps me laugh when I have that "anxiety that lifts me off my feet"(great image!) and makes up syndromes--so yours would be "MUD Syndrome." Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words of support. This intense discomfort was very short lived. I think that is another sign of progress. Staying with it, and letting it dissolve. Sometimes the whole episode is over and I am feeling better sooner than I would have expected.

    ReplyDelete